Ordinarily it's not my policy to cave in to peer pressure like this, but ignoring the likely-fake shakycam video of a PS3 Slim hasn't slowed the tide of hey-d00ds tips we're getting about it.
There's also a nagging, buzzing doubt in my head, in the region of my brain that entertains such ideas as a faked moon landing and the existence of Bigfoot. After all, rumor went around last month that this sucker was in production, and a steep price cut on the 80GB PS3 likely means retailers have been told to clear space for a new SKU.
So I am going to put this to the wisdom of the crowd. Is this a real PS3 slimline console? Or is it fake?
• You can see the ethernet and USB ports on it. Why would counterfeiters go to that kind of trouble?
• Logo looks legit enough.
• It's in the Philippines, where you can buy anything before it's available, such as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
• Plugged-in-and-running footage or GTFO.
• Some clown's giving us the old shake-and-fake.
• It's in the Philippines, where you can buy anything before it's available, such as Flintstones Chewable Viagra.
Update: Reader Carlo Q. weighs in with this piece of intel:
I can guarantee you that it is fake. That footage is (most likely) from a place called Greenhills Mall in the Philippines, which is known for selling crap/fake gadgets, as well as bootleg movies and other items.