That's Hideo Kojima. He makes Metal Gear Solid games and really likes movies — that last part is hard to believe, we know.
Kojima has teamed up with video rental shop Tsutaya and wants to recommend 15 flicks that influenced the Metal Gear Solid series.
The campaign is taking place at Tsutayas in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Fukuoka and Sapporo as well as though Tsutaya Online. There's also a giveaway.
Here is Kojima's list of 15 motion pictures that have influenced MGS:
The Guns of Navarone
The Great Escape
Planet of the Apes
The Deer Hunter
Dawn of the Dead
Full Metal Jacket
Black Hawk Down
Children of Men
The Bourne Identity
Why these movies? Kojima explains on the Tsutaya Online site how each of these influenced MGS. Here's a sample:
• The game's basic "infiltration mission" concept is from The Guns of Navarone.
• Otacon's real name ("Hal") is a nod to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
• Snake's bandana is from Deer Hunter — not Rambo.
• Planet of the Apes influenced MGS in that it showed how a message for society could be placed in an entertaining work.
• MGS4's ocotocamo was inspired by Predator.
• The mood and the lighting of MGS4's Middle Eastern strife was inspired by Black Hawk Down.
•The biggest influence on Metal Gear is the 007 series — especially Sean Connery's Bond.