The Internet may have reacted to the new Sonic, but the Kotaku 'Shop Contest has yet to have its say.
Faces weren't the only feature lifted in the makeover Sonic and pals got for Sonic Boom. Sonic's waistband shot up to his tits, somehow. If he wore pants he'd look like a 70-year-old in line in the Golden Corral at 4:30 p.m. Knuckles looks like Jose Canseco in a wrestling singlet. Tails has goggles nowhere near his eyes and headphones nowhere near his ears.
So here we go. My colleague Steve Marinconz set a high bar with that Watch_Dogs/Sonic mashup, but according to official 'Shop Contest rules, neither employees of Kotaku 'Shop Contest nor their families are eligible for any prizes. So that's where all of you smart 'Shoppers come in. Take the new Sonic, or his new friends, and come back to me with the funny.
Source Images: Meet the New Sonic and His Next Game [numerous samples here]
Look, it's Sonic, wearing handwraps and a scarf. With taped feet. Knuckles is similarly mummified. You guys got plenty to work with here.
While most of you are smart enough to figure out how to upload images, here are some simple steps to take for those less familiar with the practice.
1. Create your 'Shop and save it to your desktop.
2. Go to the bottom of this post and click "Discuss."
3. This brings up a comment window. Click the icon that looks like a picture.
4. This brings up another window called "Insert Image." Click "Choose file" if you're uploading your 'shop from your desktop
5. Alternatively, you can upload the 'Shop to a free image hosting service. I suggest imgur. Then paste the image's URL into the field that says "Image URL." Note: this must be the URL of the image itself, not the page where it is displayed. That means the URL ends in .jpg, .gif, .png, whatever.
6. Add editorial commentary and hit submit and your image will load. If it doesn't, upload the image to imgur and paste the image URL as a comment. I promise I will look at it.
7. Large-size images may not upload properly, though we have seen some big-ass animated .gifs upwards of 5 MB. If you're still having trouble uploading the image, try to keep its longest dimension (horizontal or vertical) under 1000 pixels, or the whole thing under 2 MB.
Alright! Have at it. Thanks very much for your participation.